Minema mod allows you to record jerk-free movies in Minecraft, no matter how slow your PC or how complex the scenery is. This is made possible by a temporary modification of the game timer that ensures a constant game time passed between each frame, disabling any synchronization with the actual time. In other words: performance doesn’t matter for smooth videos anymore!
Technically, it can be compared with the startmovie command in Source engine or the fixed_time_step variable in CryEngine.
With this mod, you can easily record ridiculously complex scenes, like 32000 eggs and arrows spawned simultaneously at one point with random velocity
If you tried to record that with tools like Fraps, you would get nothing more than a slideshow. Even if your PC is fast enough for the targeted movie frame rate, it usually produces less smooth results than Minema. But keep in mind that this mod is designed for intermediate users that need to record cinematic or experimental Minecraft movies rather than for “normal” gameplay movies.
- To start and stop a recording session, simply press F4. The key can be configured in the key bindings menu.
Recommended third-party mods:
- Camera Studio – for smooth camera movements during recording.
How to install Minema Mod:
- Download and install Minecraft Forge.
- Download the mod.
- Go to %appdata%.
- Go to .minecraft/mods folder.
- If the “mods” folder does not exist you can create one.
- Drag and drop the downloaded jar (zip) file into it.
- Enjoy the mod.
If you’re familiar with video encoding, it is highly recommended to use ffmpeg to compress videos on the fly. You can download ffmpeg here:
- Windows: http://ffmpeg.zeranoe.com/builds/
- MacOS X: http://ffmpegmac.net/
- Linux: Use a packet manager of your choice and search for “ffmpeg”.
Recommended ffmpeg parameters:
-f rawvideo -pix_fmt rgb24 -s %WIDTH%x%HEIGHT% -r %FPS% -i - -an -c:v libx264 -preset medium -qp 10 video.mp4
Lossless H.264 (RGB mode):
-f rawvideo -pix_fmt rgb24 -s %WIDTH%x%HEIGHT% -r %FPS% -i - -an -c:v libx264rgb -preset medium -qp 0 video.mp4