The main goal of Growing Trees mod is create more dynamic, aesthetic, fun and natural looking trees while respecting the Minecraft graphic stylization and enforcing a narrow project scope that keeps things simple.
- A growing tree is a multi-block structure of rooty soil, branches, and leaves blocks that has many advances over the Vanilla Minecraft tree structures.
- The formation of the tree starts with a seed. This seed is either planted by hand much like a Vanilla sapling or the seed has a chance of planting itself if left on the ground in a suitable location.
- The tree then grows from a sapling, slowly increasing it’s size over time, into a full sized tree.
- The tree can then be chopped down at it’s base and all of the wood claimed at once.
- Take the place of vanilla saplings.
- Are dropped from tree branches slowly and at random.
- Have a chance of self planting if setting on a dirt/grass/podzol block and has a clear view of the sky above it.
Saplings (Oak, Spruce, Birch, Jungle, Acacia, and Dark Oak) and their respective seeds.
- Grow from seeds to fully grown trees over time.
- Grow in natural ways loosely modeled after real world trees and tend to grow in unique, believable ways.
- Grow around obstacles in a natural way.
- Are not just reskins but grow using different algorithms per species.
- Have growth rate and mature sizes that are biome, temperature and rainfall dependent.
- Drop seeds that can potentially plant themselves.
- Won’t grow in darkness. Leaves not connected to an outer tree branch or starved of light will die. Outer branches without leaves slowly rot away.
- Will die and rot in a dark place (some species produce mushrooms when they rot).
A sapling growing into a juvenile tree
Fully grown trees
Examples of various fully grown tree species.
- Provides nutrients to trees and can be depleted over time.
- Applied with bone meal will increase soil fertility and allows the tree to grow past it mature state.
- Applied with fermented spider eyes will destroy soil fertility and halt growth.
- Applied with Ghast tears turn the trees growing leaves into vanilla leaves and destroys soil fertility to freeze the tree how it is.
- Special effect particles are created on the entire tree when an acting substance is applied to the soil or bottom-most trunk block.
- Right click to get fertility level(0-15)
- As trees drop seeds the forest line spreads.
- Trees compete for sunlight when placed near each other and grow taller and skinnier than trees in the open. This produces a forest canopy effect.
- Canopies block skylight producing dark forests where mobs can spawn during the day and saplings fail to thrive.
- Podzol forms from dirt or grass under the dark forest canopies of some tree species. Podzol is meant to emulate forest leaf litter appearance.
Various examples of planted forests.
- Vanilla trees(leaves, logs, saplings) are not replaced and still spawn and function normally.
- All drops from growing trees are vanilla leaves, sticks, and logs. Growing tree parts are not obtainable in survival. Shears only obtain vanilla leaves.
- Rooty soil drops plain dirt when harvested or left without a tree it will return to plain dirt.
- Vanilla textures are used for wood and leaves making it compatible with resource packs that change wood or leaves textures.
- Seeds can be crafted from vanilla saplings and vice-versa.
- Fire spreads and burns at the same rate as vanilla tree fires.
- Works in multiplayer.
Under the hood:
- Trees grow using a combination of a cellular automata algorithm for leaves and branch network logic for trunk and branches.
- No tile entities are used. Rendering is done with ISimpleBlockRenderingHandler for better performance with large numbers of tree nodes.
- Blocks are only updated with updateTick() so chunks are re-rendered when dirty no more than with vanilla crops.
- Listener interface is used for bottom leaves blocks tick for creating seed drops and other effects. New listeners can be registered by other mods to expand tree behavior.
- All block states are encoded in the 4 bit metadata.
- Growing leaves blocks use 4 species sub-blocks to a Block using metadata encoding for conserving BlockIDs. This mod registers 9 blocks total.
How to install Growing Trees Mod:
- Download and install Minecraft Forge.
- Download the mod.
- Click on the Start Menu in Windows.
- Type run into the search box, and select the Run program at the top of the results.
- Type %appdata% into the Run program, and press Enter.
- Go to .minecraft/mods folder.
- Drag and drop the downloaded jar (zip) file into that.
- Enjoy the mod.
Growing Trees Mod Download Link:
For Minecraft 1.7.10: Growing-Trees-Mod-1.7.10.jar – 91 KB